As parents and carers you can expect the challenge included in your child’s classwork and homework to increase, particularly the further up the school they progress. It is an expectation that both are completed to the best of your child’s ability. Since September we have worked hard as a school to increase and amend our delivery where needed using Micro Soft Teams. This has allowed us to continually our interaction with and support of our students with regards to their learning. It is important therefore that our students are encouraged to develop a solid routine when finished a virtual lesson in completing and submitting good quality work via Teams. The same would apply with regards to submitting competed homework using Show My Homework. Both aspects of work are not only important in allowing their teachers to be certain that they have understood what was taught in class but it allows your child to continually build upon what has been covered, discussed and explored.
Not all children enjoy completing either schoolwork or homework, regardless of the medium used, and some struggle to settle into a routine where both are concerned. There are a variety of ways you can support and help your child in settling into this new routine and to establish a consistent and methodical approach.
- Encourage them to be organised by asking them to check both their calendar on Teams and Show My Homework their bags the night before – who wants a frantic rush first thing in the morning?
- Ask to see their log in details for Show My Homework and ask them to use these in front of you so that you can be certain they are and can use them efficiently.
- Please check yours to ensure that they also work. Maybe do so in front of your child so that they see that you will be checking on what they are up to – especially if it means they will be rewarded for completing tasks correctly and on time! Take time to talk to your child about each day’s homework tasks.
- Ensure that they are checking the assignment tab on Teams and Show My Homework for all the dates tasks are to be handed in by.
- Is it possible to use or hang a wall planner at home, such as a whiteboard, to also write their assignments on at home?
- Can you help them check deadlines so that you can support them as they learn to prioritise tasks – it will help their over all organisation and allow for a more settle approach if tasks are completed in date order?
- Ensure they have somewhere quiet to work without any tempting distractions like the television, Xbox or their tablet.
- Encourage them to chat and to tell you if they are experiencing any problems or are finding the work/tasks set too difficult. They can always speak to their tutor or equally you may wish to do so.
- Support both school and your child’s ongoing organisational development and work ethic by reminding that there is always a consequence for every action we undertake. As a positive – isn’t it always nicer to be praised and recognised for being punctual and dedicated?
- As always, particularly if you are a new parent/carer joining our community, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s Form Tutor or relevant subject teacher should you have a cause for concern or a question. The sooner we are made aware of an issue or query the sooner we can address it and arrive at a practical and positive solution. The last thing we want for any of our children, either as parents/carers or teachers, is for them to be anxious or fretful – particularly if it is something that can be solved quickly and sensitively