You will be aware that since school closed on Friday 20 March we provided all families who have students eligible for FSM with an Asda gift card. We have been topping this up every two weeks with a payment of £15 per week per eligible child.
On 1st April the Government announced its own FSM voucher scheme through a company called Edenred and this is being offered to all schools for free.
Due to the large costs associated with the Asda vouchers we unfortunately aren’t able to continue with this system and have been working on moving to the Government scheme.
We will be going live with the new vouchers system from Monday 4th May 2020.
We have been made aware by the Government that vouchers may take a number of days to be sent to parents/carers so in order to assist you during the time of changeover we will continue to top up the Asda cards until Friday 15th May 2020. Following this the Asda cards will no longer be used.
Please check your emails each day following our live date to look out for your voucher. We have no control over this process and this could take a number of days. Please also check your junk email box.
Instructions on how the system will work are below:
- Families will receive an email (to the email address provided to the school, please also check junk email box) which contains a 16-digit eCode and a link to the following website: www.freeschoolmeals.co.uk.
- Once you receive the email click on ‘Redeem your code’.
- Enter the unique 16 digit-e code and follow the simple security checks
- Select your chosen supermarket and check out
- The vouchers will be for £15 per child per week. If you have two children this will obviously amount to £30.
- The vouchers will be issued for a period of 4 weeks a time. For example; if you have one child your voucher will be for £60 to cover the period of 4 weeks.
- The vouchers cannot be used to purchase any age restricted products such as cigarettes and alcohol.
- Further details regarding how eCodes can be redeemed are available in the parent/carer’s FAQ document attached. A copy of this can also be found on the school website.
Thank you for your support and co-operation during this change over, we hope that the Asda scheme has been of assistance to you in the meantime.
If you would like to discuss this initiative in person, or have any other concerns during this period of closure you are welcome to contact either myself of Mrs Bowen, the Headteacher via
Mr S.W. Burns, Deputy Head
Possible parent/carer queries
I haven’t received my Government voucher by email?
The school has no control over delivery of the vouchers, we have been advised this can take a number of days. Please keep checking your emails, including you junk email box and if you still haven’t received a voucher by Monday 11th May please contact the school.
I have received my voucher by email what do I do now?
Please follow the step by step instructions included in the email. Further assistance can also be found in the Free school meals parents FAQ document that was sent to you in the post, by email and also can be found on the school website.
I have only received one voucher code but I have 2/3 eligible children
The vouchers cover all of the eligible children in your family. For example if you have 2 children the voucher will be worth £30 per week, if you have 3 children £45 per week.
How long will the voucher last?
The vouchers are being paid for 4 weeks at a time, based on £15 per week per child. For example a family with 1 child will get a voucher worth £60, 2 children £120 and 3 children £180.
Will the voucher expire?
The vouchers have a use by date of 4 months. This was previously 1 month but the Government have extended it.
I preferred my Asda card
Asda cards were put in place by the school to help families before the Government scheme was released. We are unable to continue to fund these so have had to move over to the Government scheme as this is free.
In order to assist further we are topping the Asda cards up to cover until 15th May. This will cover the changeover period. Following this date we will no longer be topping up the Asda cards.
Please also see the FAQ document below for answer to some other common queries.