Aims of the curriculum
At St Thomas More we aim to offer a broad and exciting curriculum that will benefit students in to further education, training or work. Providing opportunities for careers in the competitive and ever changing Computer Science, IT and Tech industries. We want to prepare our students for the jobs that may not yet exist and be competitive in the most advanced industries available to them.
Years 9, 10 and 11
- Edexcel Computer Science GCSE
Years 9, 10 and 11
- BTEC Level 1/2 Tech Award in Digital Information Technology
Teaching methods and student organisation
- Year 9 – 4 hours per fortnight
- Year 10 – 5 hours per fortnight
- Year 11 – 5 hours per fortnight
- Students have access to the Moodle VLE in lesson and home to view objectives and resources. All work is completed either online or uploaded to the Moodle VLE and fed back to student through this or we use exercise books to make notes and submit responses to challenge questions.
- Students have access to personal email accounts to exchange and communicate with both teachers and peers within the school
- Students organise their work within their folders and upload any work that is required to the Moodle VLE.
Progression after Key Stage 4
Students can select Cambridge Technical IT or A Level Computer Science.
Additional classes and extra curricular activities
Catch up sessions for pupils to work in their own time with the assistance of a teacher / teaching assistant as designated by P6 or the learning mentors and class teacher.
DHE Y9 Computer Science – Unit 2 Concept Map – Advanced Python 106.85 KB 24 downloads
Curriculum concept map or supporting file for Computing and IT – Year 9
DHE Y10 Computer Science – Topic 3 Concept Map – Computers 107.48 KB 10 downloads
Curriculum concept map or supporting file for Computing and IT – Year 10
DHE Y12 Computer Science – Component 1 Concept Map – Component 1 112.31 KB 13 downloads
Curriculum concept map or supporting file for Computing and IT – Year 12