St Thomas More Catholic School is committed to providing high quality Careers, Education, Information, Advice and Guidance to help inspire students and to enable them to make rational informed career decisions. St Thomas More Catholic School aims to meet all eight Benchmarks identified by the Gatsby Foundation.
Take a look at the following video that explains why careers education is so important across all subjects.
At St Thomas More Catholic School all subject areas are encouraged to support careers education by engaging in the following:
- Having a prominent display that links subject learning and skill development to different careers – these are known as our curriculum journey posters
- All departments participate in an annual careers audit / survey
- All departments elect a careers ambassador to drive careers forward within their subject area
- Careers lead and department ambassadors work together to develop links with businesses and organisations
- Careers lead and department ambassadors work together to invite alumni and other external speakers to come into school
- Where appropriate to the scheme of learning departments organise external visits by students to local businesses/organisations
- All departments ensure they record careers learning opportunities and share this information with the careers lead
- Within their lessons, teachers consider the needs and interests of all students and ensure that information challenges stereotyping including gender and disability