A strong bond between home and school is an essential part of life at St Thomas More Catholic School and we endeavour to inform and fully involve parents and carers. In writing, we provide a full and detailed report with two further interim reports each year.
Written reporting is supported by a face to face academic consultation day, where parents can meet with form teachers to discuss in detail their child’s progress across all subjects and plan ways to improve academic standards. This in addition to the traditional annual parents’ evening when parents can meet with all of the student's teachers.
Further advice is offered to parents at our year group curriculum evening where parents are provided with information about how they can best support the student's learning.
In addition we hold a termly parents’ forum so we can earn from an open exchange of views. We also provide weekly news bulletins, which celebrate the success of individual students and is a ‘what’s on’ guide to forthcoming events. Recently we have introduced numerous joint parent and child activities so we can get to know each family better and these include:
- Theatre visits
- Lads and dads sporting events
- The Harry Potter Experience visit for Year 7
- Parent and student study skills workshops for Years 9, 10 and 11
- Parent and student workshop on the positive learning journey for Year 11
- Paired reading for Year 7 students with a significant adult of their choice
- Spanish for Beginners course
- Apprenticeships: information evening for students in Years 9 -13
- An ICT course
- An understanding mathematics course
- Summer school including joint parent and student activities
- Employability skills
- Anti-bullying workshop